TKS 20mm Polish Tankette – Part 1
TKS 20mm history
In September 1939, the TKS 20mm Polish tank, together with the TK3, became the most important numerically armored vehicle in service in the Polish army. Like all tanks in the 1930s, they are a good alternative to traditional tanks and are cheaper. They are a good recommendation for light mechanization of infantry battalions.
Back in 1928, the British company Vickers-Armstrong produced the Vickers Carden-Loyd Mk.VI artificial water tank, and its design attracted a lot of attention. In mid 1929, Poland purchased Mk.VI and tested it in Rembertow near Warsaw on June 29, 1929. In the same month, after extensive testing, another 10 tanks, 5 trailers and spare parts were ordered. The request was made in September 1929; a large-scale test was carried out. It was later decided that they had great potential and could be used to power cavalry units and as infantry reconnaissance vehicles.
The Polish tank design task has been entrusted to the Armored Weapons Construction Office of the Army Engineers Institute (BK Br. Panc. WIBI) in Warsaw. The main designers are Major W. Trzeciak and Captain E. Karkoz; this new design uses two variants, which differ in suspension and transmission gear design. The development progressed gradually and improved gradually, reaching TKS 20mm.
TKS 20mm at war
Before the war began, the 575 TK and 20mm TKS became the main body of the Polish armored forces. During the Polish invasion, they suffered heavy casualties, usually the only armored vehicles. They only used a machine gun as a light weapon. Except for the armored Type I armored vehicle, despite its small size, suitable for reconnaissance and support of infantry, they failed to fight against German tanks.
Only a very small number of tanks equipped with 20mm automatic cannons have not had any success against enemy tanks. In the Bzura counterattack, the 20mm TKS tank (named after the 20mm automatic cannon) was commanded by the sergeant Roman Orlik and destroyed 3 German Panzer 35(t) light tanks, one of which was under the command of Lieutenant Victor de. The prince of Ratibor, Hohenlohe, was killed in that attack.
Click on the image below to see the first article (click here to part 2)